International Council on Archives (ICA)
Archives constitute the memory of nations and societies, shape their identity, and are a cornerstone of the information society. By providing evidence of actions and transactions, archives support administration and underlie the rights of individuals, organisations and states. By guaranteeing citizens’ rights of access to official information and to knowledge of their history, archives are fundamental to identity, democracy, accountability and good governance.
In recognition of these fundamental values of archives, the International Council on Archives (ICA) is dedicated to promote the efficient and effective management and use of records, archives and data in all formats and its preservation as the cultural and evidentiary heritage of humanity, through international cooperation, by the sharing of professional experiences, research and ideas on the management and organisation of archives and archival institutions.
UNESCO has emphasized the fundamental importance of the archival record. In 2015 the UNESCO General Assembly began its policy paper on documentary heritage stating: “CONSIDERING that documents produced and preserved over time, in all their analogue and digital forms through space and time, constitute the primary means of knowledge creation and expression, having an impact on all areas of humanity’s civilization and further progress…” The ICA with more than 2,000 members in 199 countries and territories, is the primary non-governmental organization coordinating international efforts to give life and meaning to this powerful statement. The strength of the ICA lies in its global network, linking national archives both large and small, professional associations of archivists, regional, local and institutional archives and individuals as a collaborative community for joint action and mutual support. This is a dynamic and fully engaged body, advancing professional practice, training and public awareness. For over 70 years the ICA has been the international advocate for modern record systems and the careful protection of our recorded heritage. The ICA has encouraged dialogue and understanding across cultures, dealing with issues of shared heritage, the integrity of the official record and with the transmission of knowledge across national boundaries and across the generations.
- Unlimited access to all ICA website resources
- An exclusive subscription to ICA digital publications
- Free copies of the paper version of the international professional journal “Comma” and ICA twice-yearly newsletter “Flash”
- The possibility of financial support for their projects from the ICA and the Fund for the International Development of Archives (FIDA)
- Reduced rates for attendance at ICA-organized events
- The events and programmes organized in their region
- The chance to share their events with the international ICA community
- The opportunity to obtain support for their projects from around the world
- Access to an international network of highly committed experts
- The chance to participate to the International Archives Day and to communicate your events with worldwide professionals in the field of archives
- The opportunity to expand and be involved in an international professional network.
- Involvement in the activities and debates of the Forum of National Archivists (Cat A) and Section of Professional Associations (Cat B).
- Participation as an active member of the ICA Regional Branches and Professional Sections (*), and involvement at regional level; taking part in the discussions organized by the professional sections; and helping develop standards, resources and guidelines in collaboration with highly committed experts.
- Reduced rates for registering on ICA’s Online Learning Platform.
- The possibility of financial support for their projects from the Programme Commission and the Fund for the International Development of Archives (FIDA).
- The opportunity to apply and join the New Professionals Programme.
- Reduced rates for attendance at ICA-organized events.
- The chance to participate in International Archives Week and share their events worldwide.
- Unlimited access to all ICA website resources.
- An exclusive subscription to ICA digital publications.
- Free copies of the paper version of the international professional journal “Comma” (**) and ICA’s twice-yearly magazine “Flash”.
(**) Not available for “Digital member” membership.