Travel information for ICA Congress Abu Dhabi 2023
- Can I use international currencies to make payments in the UAE?
- VAT refund for tourists
- What is the electrical voltage standard?
- Do I need a travel adapter for my electrical devices?
- Mobile and internet services
- Wi-Fi in the UAE
- What is the weather like in October?
Official Travel Partner
About the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Capital of UAE: Abu Dhabi
- National Day: 2 December
- Religion: Official religion is Islam. The UAE is also home to many religions with churches and temples where worshippers practice their religion in an atmosphere of safety, security and mutual respect.
- Official Working Days: Monday – Friday
- Official Weekends: Saturday – Sunday
- Time Zone: GMT +4
- Exchange Rate: 1 USD = AED 3.6725
The official language of the UAE is Arabic. Positioned as a global commercial hub and top tourist destination, English is widely spoken. All road and traffic signs and signs on commercial outlets are in Arabic and English.
The most popularly spoken language across all of the Emirates, including Abu Dhabi, is English. The United Arab Emirates has one of the most diverse populations in the world. The country is endowed with numerous languages spoken by the broad range of immigrants. This diversity of languages has made the country a cultural hub, and tourists flock to the country to sample the different cultures available there. Additionally, the diversity of languages makes the country an attractive location for business people.
Do I need a visa to travel to Abu Dhabi?
Citizens of these countries do not require advance visa arrangements to enter the UAE and can obtain a visa upon arrival for 30 days with a 10-day grace period for extension.
Note: Passports must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into the UAE. Lists of countries eligible for visa on arrival may vary from time to time; therefore, please check with the UAE embassy in your country before travelling to the UAE.
Citizens of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries do not require a visa or permit or to be sponsored by a national or resident in the UAE. They need to produce their GCC country passport or national ID card at the point of entry into the UAE.
Complimentary Visas for Delegates
All confirmed conference delegates, sponsors, speakers who need a visa to enter UAE can request for a complementary visa arranged by the organiser. Please complete your registration today and send a copy of your passport and a photo to the organiser.
All others who need to apply and pay for a visa through our travel partner Nirvana Travel and Tourism, please click here: ica.ntravel.ae/ICA/visa.html
For any question on this matter, please send an email to email@example.com
What airlines flight to Abu Dhabi?
The main carrier of Abu Dhabi is Etihad Airways. Etihad Airways is the national airline of the United Arab Emirates. As an airline, Etihad has come a long way in a short time just like its home Abu Dhabi.
If you are interested in flying with Etihad Airlines, we are excited to announce that your registration at the ICA Congress Abu Dhabi 2023 will now entitle you and your travelling companions to discounted flights with this airline! Simply provide us with your travel dates, and our team will swiftly assist you in securing your up to 10% discounted booking. Kindly note that the discount is contingent upon the city of departure.
This exclusive Etihad Airlines deal is applicable for offline bookings only. Please provide us with your travel dates by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is it expensive to fly to Abu Dhabi?
It is no more expensive to fly to Abu Dhabi than to fly to most major cities. Additionally, the Congress organizers will be working to negotiate discounted airfares with several airlines; if successful, this information will be posted on the Congress web page when it becomes available.
Do I need travel insurance?
We recommend the purchase of adequate travel insurance for all overseas travel. Immunisation may be recommended or required for your destination or stopover points—you can use the IATA vaccination requirements search or check with your physician.
General cover of travel insurance: The travel insurance policy, which is offered by subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group, Inc. (AIG), provides coverage in case of unforeseen circumstances that may force you to cancel or shorten your trip or seek emergency medical treatment while travelling. Your travel insurance also offers coverage for the loss or delay of your baggage, in addition to many other benefits described in the policy, which you can review before making your purchase. All coverage is subject to policy terms and conditions.
Lodgings and accommodation
Where should I stay?
A range of fantastic accommodation options will be available at discounted special rates from the Congress website. Alternative options may be explored online according to your preference. Abu Dhabi offers an extensive range of luxurious accommodation ranging from budget hotels to 5-star alternatives, and serviced apartments, AirBnB and bed and breakfast options are limited but optional. The Congress venue (ADNEC) is centrally located in the city and therefore easily accessible from all parts of the city.
We’re excited to offer incredible discounts ranging from 20-40% on hotel bookings, allowing you to save big on your upcoming trip to the ICA Congress Abu Dhabi 2023. When you book through our website ica.ntravel.ae/ICA/hotels.html, you’ll also receive exclusive discounts on food and beverage, as well as spa treatments at select hotels. Plus, you can enjoy the added convenience of free airport transportation and transfers between your hotel and the venue (ADNEC). Another added benefit to booking your hotel through our website are the free tours we will be offering to select locations in Abu Dhabi.
Will transportation from the airport be organised?
Periodic shuttle buses will be organised for the benefit and convenience of all delegates travelling to Abu Dhabi for the Congress. More information on this service will be made available closer to the event, the officials will provide full information to support your travel planning.
You may check the transportation section here for more information regarding the complementary shuttle buses to and from the airport as well as the shuttle buses from the hotels to the ICA Congress Abu Dhabi 2023 venue ADNEC: ica.ntravel.ae/ICA/transfers.html
Delegates are also welcome to arrange their own transportation from airport to hotel accommodations. Both the Abu Dhabi and Dubai airports offer high-quality airport to hotel transfer services. You can even reserve your transport ahead of travel online by managing your booking or hire a taxi on arrival. Google Maps operates fully in the UAE and you are free to use the location service to keep track when getting around.
Getting around Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi also has a well-planned road system and getting around Abu Dhabi is easy.
Taxis are reasonably priced and plentiful and can be flagged down at the roadside or booked by phone through the TransAD hotline 600 535353. Public transport buses are modern, clean, air-conditioned, reliable and highly cost-effective. Visitors who choose to rent a vehicle will find all major car rental companies in Abu Dhabi, plus a few extra. For more comprehensive Travel and Transportation information, please visit: https://itc.gov.ae/en/Transport-in-Abu-Dhabi/Public-Transport/Taxis
Can I use international currencies to make payments in the UAE?
The recommended currency for all transactions in cash is the local currency – AED.
Credit and debit cards are widely accepted throughout Abu Dhabi and the wider UAE. Foreign currencies and travelers’ cheques can be exchanged in licenced exchange offices, banks and hotels, where a passport is required. Personal cheques will not be accepted. If you’re shopping in the souks (markets) or in smaller shops, carrying cash is recommended.
- Most banks operate ATMs, which accept a range of cards. Most ATMs, although linked to a specific bank, are part of a central network so you can transact with a bank card for a nominal charge. Common systems accepted around Abu Dhabi include American Express, Cirrus, Global Access, MasterCard, Plus System and VISA. ATMs can be found in all shopping malls, major supermarkets, most petrol stations and the airport. For international cards, the exchange rates used in transactions are normally competitive and the process is faster and far less hassle than using traditional travelers’ cheques.
- Money Exchange
- ‘Bureau de Change’ offices are all over Abu Dhabi and offer rates often better than the banks. You’ll find them in all major malls and popular shopping districts. They are usually open Saturday to Thursday, from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., and on Friday evenings. Many hotels will also exchange money and traveler’s cheques at standard (non-competitive) rates.
- Currency Converter
- Use the official currency converter from the UAE Central Bank https://www.centralbank.ae/en/forex-eibor/exchange-rates/
VAT refund for tourists
Tourists and visitors can claim refund on VAT paid on purchases they made during their stay in the UAE. Recovery of payment will be done through a fully integrated electronic system which connects retailers registered in the ‘Tax Refund for Tourists Scheme’ with all ports of entry and exit from the UAE. Read the details here.
What is the electrical voltage standard?
- Single-phase voltage (volts): 230 V
- Frequency (hertz): 50 Hz
- Plug type: G
Comparisons: To compare the voltage standards of your home country and the UAE, see here.
Solutions: It is recommended that you request your hotel concierge for an adapter or pick one up from the airport or at any of the city’s numerous supermarkets and electronics stores.
Do I need a travel adapter for my electrical devices?
Mobile and internet services
Etisalat and Du provide mobile and internet services and have special packages for visitors. Visitors need to provide a copy of their passport and UAE visa in order to obtain a local SIM card, which can be purchased either as you exit the airport or from service centres in the malls, and telecommunication stores.
- Etisalat tourist offers information, https://www.etisalat.ae/en/c/mobile/plans/visitor-line.html
- Du tourist offers information, https://www.du.ae/about/media-centre/newsdetail/2016/06/29/deals-on-tourist-plan-sim
Wi-Fi in the UAE
Both local providers, Etisalat and Du, provide Wi-Fi service in the UAE in many locations. Most hotels offer free Wi-Fi to their guests. Most malls and public areas also provide complimentary Wi-Fi.
Find Wi-Fi hotspots on the pages below:
- Wi-Fi hotspots – Etisalat: https://www.etisalat.ae/en/c/promotions/uae-wi-fi.html
- Wi-Fi hotspots – du: https://www.du.ae/wifi-uae/locations
What is the weather like in October?
Dispelling stereotypes about the United Arab Emirates
What is the dress code and social etiquette?
The UAE is an ideal tourist destination in many ways. Some of its distinct features that contribute to making it an ideal tourist destination are:
- Economic and political stability
- Strategic location connecting the East and the West
- Well-connected by major airlines of the world
- Robust infrastructure supporting tourism
- A range of accommodation to choose from for all budgets and fancies
- A range of events and activities that cater to all age groups and people with varied interests
- Unique biodiversity – the UAE has deserts, oases, mountains, valleys, salt plains, mangroves, beaches and a very rich terrestrial and marine flora and fauna
- Religiously and culturally tolerant population – the UAE is home to more than 200 nationalities from different religious and cultural backgrounds living peacefully
- Low crime rate – the rate of premeditated murders in the UAE is 0.3 per cent for every 100,000 people as of January 2018.
Women in the UAE
- 8th rank for the sub-index of wage equality for similar work
- 1st rank for the sub-index of literacy rate
- 1st rank for the sub-index of enrolment in secondary education
- 1st rank for the sub-index of sex ratio at birth (female/male)
- Government portal: https://www.moec.gov.ae/en/-/travel-requirements-for-the-uae-tourist-visa
- Website of Visit Abu Dhabi: https://visitabudhabi.ae/en
Medicines & Banned Substances
Banned substances in the UAE
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has a very strict, zero-tolerance, anti-drugs policy. All airports within the UAE conduct thorough searches using highly sensitive equipment. Possession of any amounts of illegal drugs by travellers entering or transiting the UAE will be subject to punishment.
Bringing medication into the UAE
If you’re carrying controlled medication into the UAE, you must apply for approval through the Ministry of Health (MoH) website.
Check with your doctor if your prescribed medication is controlled or not. You must also carry the prescription for the quantity (max 3 months’ supply) of the medicine that you are bringing into the UAE.
All other medication (prescription for uncontrolled medication and over the counter medication) does not need prior approval from MoH.
For more details please visit the Ministry of Health and Prevention website.